Saturday, March 21, 2009

"are you wearing pants?"

They have no pennies in this country, and I think I like that. They also have meat pies, and I certainly like that. This island is rather like the wine we’ve been floating (not quite drowning) in—better and better with time. The longer I live here (still can’t believe that Kasey, Australia, and a stamp can exist on one envelope addressed to me), and it’s been a month, the more I discover. The other day a few of us went on a coastal walk (a 5K each way…I mention that distance for the benefit of a few certain people). Cliffs, waterfalls, insane panoramas, beaches, sandy puppies, flowers—glory. I wish pictures did it justice, but they don’t. I also wish I could carry all of you around in my pockets. That’d be entertaining anywhere, but in Australia your view would be top-notch.

Also, I am tweaking out—I have still not surfed. For future reference, dudes named “Surfer Stu” are not reliable with their schedules or phones. I’m tempted to buy my own board, but that would kill my funds and class attendance with one stone/board.

Contrary to popular belief, I have not died from starvation due to a lack of a meal plan. This could, in part, be related to the facts that “take-away” is mighty popular, they sell perfect frozen meat pies, or that one of my dear roommates loves to cook. Either way, I go to bed full at night.

Thing #154 I love about my life: I go to the beach nearly every day. I often stop in McDonalds (called Macca’s here!) and buy a 30 cent (?!) soft serve cone. And then I walk home from beach, along glorious Coogee Bay Road, ice cream cone in hand, and, of course, barefoot. Ain’t nothing finer.

Our neighbors across the hall are a loveable Aussie family. They have a baby girl named Matilda and I want to steal her. Thankfully, the neighbors are more of a Miss. Honey breed than Trunchbull.

Although, really, everyone here seems rather Miss. Honey-ish. They don’t call it the “lucky country” for nothing. In most magazines I’ve read here there are ads about how to extend your visa/cash in your old home for a sparkling new one in Oz. The dude who gives kayak tours lived in America…until he studied abroad at UNSW and decided to never go back. Another dude who spoke at orientation is from Minnesota, but came to study here…and now he only goes back to Minnesota for Christmas.

Other reasons I love UNSW include the fact that they arranged a St. Patrick’s day boat cruise. When’s the last time you saw 400 kids at sea, decked out in green, all with access to an open bar? Beautiful nonsense. Beautiful in that the view, from a boat, of the Sydney harbor at night is pretty awe-inspiring (pictures to come). Nonsense in that by the second hour, a drunk girl dropped her purse over the side of the boat. And when her (drunker) roommate heard the splash, she assumed the roommate fell in. I happily report that I, my friends, and my belongings all made it back to land. Great success.

My psychology of language TA is named Xerox Tang. As in copy machine brand name plus powdered orange drink. I’m not sure if it’s all right that I think this is entertaining.

Also-I finally booked spring break aka “mid semester break” because it’s not actually spring. We’re going to do an east coast Australia tour. It’ll be a combo of high class (glorious beach resort) and roughing it (sleeping on our 12 hour overnight bus). Adventure? I think so. We’ll be lounging on Fraser Island, sailing the Whitsunday islands, and then checking up on the Great Barrier Reef (‘sup world wonder?)! The trip (once you add in scuba at reef, white water rafting, jumping from plane) is going to cost way too much. YOLOB, though. I guess it’s just payback (literally) in awesomeness for all the jobs I’ve ever had. No better time to spend than during an economic recession while the exchange rate is bumpin, right?

In other adventure news, we went to the Blue Mountains yesterday and it was grand. Pictures don’t capture the wildly EPIC nature of them. We’re talking major vastness. I had another one of those “I’ve seen this visual in books/postcards/posters and now I am seeing it for real…woah” moments when we saw the Three Sisters (google image it up, if you’re curious). Also, my new job aspiration is to be the operator of the SkyRail at the Blue Mountains so I can just ride it all day long. Sweetest life ever. 

Even more exciting than mountains and rocks (no matter how importantly historical or grand) is the fact that I pet/cuddled with/loved up close kangaroos, wallabies, emus, and koalas. Facts: wombats are hysterical looking and I would like a pet dingo. If the SkyRail operator job is taken, I’ll just work at this wildlife park. Honestly though, I pet and handfed (and fell even more deeply in love with) kangas and koalas. I’m going to blow up the Kasey and Kangaroo picture and put it on the mantel on my next home. Not a joke.

Finally, if you’re ever having a sleepless night, you should probably get your ass out of bed and sign online. I often bum wifi in the afternoon here (late night of the previous day for those of you in my old hemisphere). Sign onto aim, talk to me in the future.

The end.

Love,
Kasey

PS- My local tattoo artist just invited me to a "barbie." Best life ever.

4 comments:

  1. if it weren't for the fact I'd miss you tremendously, i'd say it sounds like you really ought to just stay there in aussieland... life here in the U.S. gets worse and worse each day.

    also, loved the line, "wish I could carry all of you around in my pockets. That'd be entertaining anywhere, but in Australia your view would be top-notch." I pictured a whole bunch of us miniaturized friends accompanying you on some of the ridiculous stories you've told me and couldn't help but laugh!

    Xerox Tang? Is that some kind of cruel joke by the parents? Or did they lose some terrible bet and have to change their name?

    YOLOB... You Only Live Once... Baby?

    Miss ya much kid. Listening to Bon Iver again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. let me just say...girl you did two 5Ks? and let me tell you, you are going to miss the 5K this year. what will you do. i know you hate it, but you also think its funny.

    second, Matilda might just make a great dorm baby. i don't know if that thought crossed your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait-- a 5K!?! as in THE 5K? No! Yes! It's a universal love that transcends culture, thousands of miles, several time zones, and language (maybes not.)

    Hope you ran it in the style, class, and finesse in which wii run THE 5K at Boston College :)

    Finally, can you bring a Wallobe back on the plane, mate?

    Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete