Thursday, February 19, 2009

top notch advice

two days until i cruise ten thousand miles in the sky. i'm leaving on a saturday, arriving on a monday, and am in the air for one day. this baffles me beyond belief. the international dateline is a major headfuck! i'm not into losing a day while airborne. i am, however, into the fact that i'm flying in the same type of the plane they used for snakes on a plane (see: best film of life).

in other australian news, i have received some priceless advice for my journey. lovely folks from the ages of four to old fogey have dished some wise words that are worth sharing:

my new (but ancient) librarian friend: "some decades ago I lived there with my husband and three dogs. those were the best years of my life. go there and have the time of your life!" check.

jacqueline p. sullivan (verbatim): "the point is that you'll go to sydney and buy a large taxidermied kangaroo for our mod next year." attempt to check.

jps, part II (also verbatim): "go have fun in australia but don't get pregnant. but if you do, mail it to me." uncheck.

george lord: "don't go. it's too far. we won't be able to play and i won't be able to see you with my telescope." uncheck, but buy him better telescope.

my mom: "seriously, though. no magical thinking. if they say there are sharks, believe them and please surf elsewhere. i'd prefer for you to come home in one piece." hopeful check.


my mom's crazy friend: "aw kase, you go there! go love everyone! just don't fall in love with and marry an aborigine. your dad wouldn't be thrilled." check?


if you have any advice in the same league as the above, please let me know.

next time i post, i'll be ten thousand miles away, sixteen hours in the future, and one hundred percent wearing flops.

peace, america.

love,
kasey

1 comment: